Hardwood floors add so much character to our space. With regular maintenance they can last more than a lifetime. A quality hardwood floor may need light sanding and finishing after a decade or two. In the meantime keep them looking wonderful with these maintenance tips.
• Place doormats at the entrances, this will reduce not just dirt but lead and pesticides
• Remove shoes the entrance.
• Promptly remove any spills.
• Plan regular sweeping, vacuuming or dust-mopping.
• Keep pet's nails trimmed.
• Block harsh sunlight using window covering to avoid discoloration.
For cleaning your hardwood floor:
- Vacuum or sweep to get rid of excess dirt and grime that could scratch the floor.
- Water is an enemy to a wood floor. It can warp and damage the wood. Use a damp microfiber mop to wipe the surface clean. Don't ignore corners of the room where more dust can get trapped.
- Wipe twice, but each time rinse the cloth and squeeze excess water out. Then Dry using a clean and dry microfiber cloth attached to your mop.
- Ordinary household soaps and detergents can be damaging to hardwood. Oil soaps and other cleaners that promise shine can build up. White vinegar with acid will penetrate the finish.
- Best non-toxic cleaner would be 1/4 cut mild dishwashing detergent added to a bucket of water for damp mopping.
- Do not use steam cleaners or floor scrubbing machines. They will weaken the seal and scratch the surface.